Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Current Motto?

"The ability to simplify means to eliminate the unnecessary so that the necessary may speak."
— Hans Hofmann

Okay. Now...take a second, wait....and now go back and read it again, slowly and with intent. (I'll wait.)

So, when I read this kind of thing, I immediately start thinking of how I fit into it...or how it fits in with me. I think the fact that is says "the ability" makes me a little uncomfortable...do I have that ABILITY? Am I ABLE to do this simplification process? After all this analizing and wondering, I realize that obviously I'm not simplifying things at all, and that this will take some work!

So, 'to eliminate the unnecessary' is the goal of the next few weeks. Where will I begin? Well, I tend to work well with lists, so maybe I will start by making a honest, no cheating list of the things that I've been spending time on...even if it's just thinking about them. Everything from dinner on Friday, to music selections, to merchandise for shows, to who's doing good in America's Got Talent, to my hubby's newest business venture, to my need for time with friends, to missing my family, to where is my dog going to stay while I travel next week, to buying a gift, to 'oh, I'm hungry for lunch'....you can see how our brains can get very bogged down and unable to focus!

I'm going to make that list, then cross out the things that are taken care of or don't matter so much. I'll also write next to some how I plan to complete the task, etc. Then the list will dwindle, and the important, "necessary things may speak".

What do you think?

No comments: